Campus or workplace violence may include the use of deadly weapons. Advance warning is unlikely. Contact police at extension 5911 or (815) 836-5911 or 911 in the event of any incident of violence and try to remain calm for your safety and the safety of others.
- Call police at extension 5911 or (815) 836-5911, if it is safe to do so and advise exactly where you are located.
- Stay on the line with the dispatcher if it is safe to do so.
- Take no action to intervene.
Violent Crime in Progress (Such as an Active Shooter Situation)RUN: If exiting the area is possible
Exit the area immediately.
Tell others who may be approaching to stay out of the area.
Try to be aware of your surroundings.
Notify police at extension 5911 or (815) 836-5911 or 911 immediately upon reaching a safe location.
HIDE: If exiting the building is not possible
Get to a secure area: classroom, office, closet.
Close, lock and barricade the door.
Turn off the lights and remain quiet.
DO NOT answer the door.
Call police at extension 5911 or (815) 836-5911 or 911
Plan for what to do if the attacker gets in
FIGHT: If the attacker is upon you and running or hiding is not possible
- Counter the attacker as a last resort.
- Total commitment is essential.
- Use objects as distraction devices,
- Spread out,
- Work as a team
- Be ready to unleash on attacker if he/she enters your area.
- Do not disturb, move, or touch any suspicious packages.
- Immediately evacuate the building using established evacuation routes.
- Call police at extension 5911 or (815) 836-5911 or 911. Provide as much information as possible and stay on the line with the dispatcher, if it is safe to do so.