Meet the Growing Demand for Experienced Registered Dental Hygienists.
The shortage of dentists has caused the role of the dental hygienist to expand. The accelerated Bachelor of Science in Dental Health at Lewis University will equip dental hygienists to fulfill these additional responsibilities in the field. It will also provide them with the educational foundation they need to pursue new opportunities in dental research, teaching, and providing dental health services in a variety of clinical, educational, and community settings.
Click here if you are entering as a freshman or transfer student and are seeking a Bachelor’s Degree in Dental HygieneSample Courses:
- Current Topics in Dental Hygiene
- Research Principles
- Dental Health Presentations
- Immunology for Dental Hygienists
- Dental Public Health Practicum
- Healthcare System Dynamics in the United States
- Oral and General Pathology
- Clinical Research
- Dental Health/Hygiene Instructor
- Hospital Dental Clinics
- Public Health Programs
- Community Dental Health Programs
- Dental Health Insurance
- Dental Materials/Dental Pharmaceuticals
- Dental Educators for the Medically Compromised
- Must have an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) in Dental Hygiene from an accredited institution
- Must have passed the National Dental Hygiene Board Exam
- Cumulative transfer GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Evidence of significant work experience or military training
Please note that general education requirements will be determined following transcript review by the Office of Admission.
Applicants who do not meet one of more of the above criteria may apply for provisional admission by submitting a personal statement to the School of Graduate, Professional, and Continuing Education. The personal statement outlines a plan for achieving success in an adult accelerated program at Lewis University.
Please refer to the Office of Admission for general application requirements and specific next steps.
For more information, or if you have any questions about the accelerated Bachelor of Science in Dental Health please contact Dr. Kozak at kozakel@ or Angie Caldwell in the Admissions office at acaldwell2@ or 815-836-5699
"Receiving a Bachelor’s in Dental Hygiene at Lewis University greatly prepared me for the course workload of the dental hygiene program along with all Board Exams for the Dental Hygiene License. Having a Bachelor’s opens up so many other job opportunities beyond the scope of clinical practice. Overall a great program and a rewarding college experience."
"Having this well-rounded education from a bachelor's degree, as opposed to only concentrating on dental hygiene courses with an associate's degree, has allowed me to become an educated learner, instead of just a well educated dental hygienist - and will make me more employable and eligible for future career opportunities."